LP_468x60
ontario news watch
on-the-record-468x60-white
and-another-thing-468x60
Canada

Premier, RCMP and health official to hold news conference about Manitoba bus crash

WINNIPEG — Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson will speak with reporters today about last week’s bus crash that killed 15 people and left 10 others seriously injured.

The news conference will take place at RCMP D Division headquarters in Winnipeg at noon local time, and Stefanson will be joined by Supt. Rob Lasson, officer in charge of major crime services with Manitoba RCMP.

Lanette Siragusa, CEO of Shared Health, the co-ordinator of many of the province’s health services, will also be present.

A minibus was carrying a group of seniors from Dauphin, Man., and surrounding area to a casino last Thursday when it went into the path of an oncoming semi-trailer truck near the town of Carberry, some 190 kilometres away.

Shared Health said in a statement Sunday that six of the 10 injured remain in critical condition.

No names of those who died have officially been released.

RCMP continue to investigate the crash. Mounties have said the truck was travelling east on the Trans-Canada Highway when the southbound bus crossed at an intersection at Highway 5.

Police say dashcam footage from the truck shows it had the right-of-way.

As of Friday, investigators had not yet spoken with the bus driver, who remained in hospital.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 19, 2023.

The Canadian Press


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *