TORONTO — Media reports say Ontario is replacing its chief medical officer of health more than a year into the COVID-19 pandemic.
Multiple anonymous sources told the Toronto Star that Dr. Kieran Moore will replace Dr. David Williams as the province’s top doctor.
Toronto’s CityNews issued a similar report.
Moore currently heads up the Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Public Health Unit.
Representatives from the premier’s office, the Ministry of Health and the Kingston-area public health unit did not immediately respond to The Canadian Press’s requests for comment.
Williams has faced much criticism over his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ontario’s COVID-19 Long-Term Care Commission lambasted Williams’ response during the early days of the crisis.
The government-appointed commission said Williams and the government repeatedly ignored the warnings of scientists, doctors, local public health officials and even the minister of long-term care.
More recently, Premier Doug Ford has ignored Williams’ recommendation to reopen schools for the last month of the academic year, turning instead to dozens of public health experts, local health units and education stakeholders for advice.
That marked a departure for the premier, who has previously voiced strong support for Williams and even asked him to delay his pending retirement to remain at the helm of the province’s pandemic response.
Ford’s decision on whether to reopen classrooms is expected in the coming days.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 29, 2021.
The Canadian Press