OTTAWA — Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez says he’s hopeful that the Liberal government can find a positive outcome with Google and Meta.
But should the companies remove news from their platforms in response to Bill C-18, he says the Liberal government will make sure newsrooms have the necessary resources for journalists to continue their work.
The government’s Online News Act became law last week, requiring Google and Meta to pay media outlets for news content they share or otherwise repurpose on their platforms.
Meta says it will comply with the law by removing news from its Facebook and Instagram platforms by the end of the year, while Google has hinted that removing news from their search engine is a possibility.
Rodriguez says he recently had a constructive but tough conversation with Google, which has been seeking more clarity about the bill.
He wouldn’t say how his government will ensure newsrooms have resources, but he says every option is on the table.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 27, 2023.
The Canadian Press